USD/CHF and EUR/CHF rose to tactical highs. What's next?
5 important events this week will bring us!
- Rate statement by the Reserve bank of Australia (Tue, 7:30 MT (4:30 GMT time)) – Analysts anticipate a rate cut to 1%. The decision is already priced in. If the rate cut happens, the AUD will weaken. On the other hand, if the bank decides to keep the rate unchanged, the aussie may be supported.
- Canadian trade balance (Wed, 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT time)) – Higher-than-expected figures will be good for the Canadian currency.
- Australian retail sales (Thu, 4:30 MT (1:30 GMT time)) – According to the forecasts, the indicator will advance by 0.2%. If the actual level is higher, the CAD will go up.
- Canadian jobs data (Fri, 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT time)) – If the level of employment change is higher and the unemployment rate is lower than the forecasts, the loonie will rise.
- NFP (Fri, 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT time)) – Will NFP come out better than the previous release? Let's find out on Friday.
- During the meeting between the US president Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, the leaders agreed to restart trade talks. The US president promised not to add more tariffs on Chinese goods.
- OPEC+ members agreed to extend oil production output cuts for 9 months.
Eurozone, France, and Germany will publish the flash services and manufacturing PMIs on February 19, from 10:15 to 11:00 MT time
During the daily press briefing of Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, it was announced that Mexico will receive 1.4 million doses of the vaccine by the end of January. Is that optimistic enough for the peso?
Great news for oil bulls! OPEC and its allied producers agreed to expand output cuts for the next month.
The USD skyrocketed after Fed Powell’s speech. OPEC and allied producers agreed to extend production cuts for another month. Oil surged.
The European Central Bank publishes its monetary policy statement that includes an announcement of the interest rate on March 11, at 14:45 MT time.