The British monthly GDP is announced on Friday at 09:00 MT time.
5 important events this week will bring us!
- British average earning index (Tue, 11:30 MT) – According to the forecasts, the indicator will reach 3.4%. If the actual figures are higher, the GBP will be supported.
- Canadian CPI (Wed, 15:30 MT) – Higher than expected level of consumer inflation will be positive for the loonie.
- US retail sales and core retail sales (Wed, 15:30 MT) – Analysts anticipate the headline retail sales to advance by 0.2%. As for its core level, it will likely increase by 0.7%. As usual, higher figures will be appreciated by the USD bulls.
- Australian jobs report (Thu, 4:30 MT) – The level of employment change is expected to rise by 15,200 jobs. At the same time, the level of the unemployment rate is forecast to remain at the same level of 5%. If the actual level of employment change is higher and the unemployment rate is lower than the expectations, the AUD will be supported.
- Speech by the BOC governor Stephen Poloz (Thu, 18:15 MT) – The Bank of Canada’s governor will be holding a press conference in Ottawa. He may provide some supportive comment for the Canadian dollar.
- During the weekend, the US president Donald Trump continued to pressure China after the US raised tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods on Friday. He said that the deal would be far worse for China is his second term. The Chinese side said that it "deeply regrets" the US decision to hike tariffs and will apply countermeasures. As a result, the risky assets fell down. At the same time, the USD/CNH pair has jumped to its highest level since January. However, the trade negotiations keep going. The presidents of the two leading economies are expected to meet during the G20 summit, but now we may only wonder how many surprises the sides will bring to the market until then.
- The Saudi energy minister said that two of its vessels were targeted in an attack on Sunday.
- The ministers of the British Cabinet want the Prime Minister Theresa May to stop the cross-party talks and start indicative votes in the Parliament.
- The bullish market is confirmed: Bitcoin has risen above $7,000 during the weekend. The total market capitalization reached $200 billion. Analysts see one of the main reasons in Fidelity, the famous financial institution, buying and selling Bitcoin.
The main market tendency today is that the US dollar is rising against its major peers and riskier assets such as stocks and oil are plummeting.
The US unemployment claims are out on Thursday at 15:30 MT time.
The European Central Bank will publish the monetary policy statement with the interest rate decision on January 21, at 14:45 MT time.
Joe Biden is going to unveil a Covid-19 relief package of about $2 trillion. After this announcement, the 10-year Treasury yield rose, adding support for the USD.
The US dollar’s weakness offered a boost to emerging-market currencies and oil.