The market takes breath after the long rally. What opportunities do traders have today?
5 important events this week will bring us!
- Canadian CPI (Wed, 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT) time) – According to forecasts, the indicator will advance by 0.1%. Higher figures will be appreciated by the CAD bulls.
- FOMC Meeting minutes (Wed, 21:00 MT (19:00 GMT) time) – We will wait for the release, as look for more hints regarding the future rate decisions by the Fed. In case of more hawkish hints, the USD will be supported.
- New Zealand’s retail sales (Fri, 1:45 MT (22:45 GMT) time) – We anticipate the level of retail sales to increase by 0.1%. If the actual figures are higher, the NZD will rise.
- Canadian core retail sales (Fri, 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT) time) – The indicator is expected to decline by 0.1%. Higher figures will be positive for the CAD.
- Speech by the Fed Chair Powell (Fri, 17:00 MT (14:00 GMT) time) – If the Fed Chair sounds hawkish, the USD will go up.
- The US plans to postpone restrictions that the Trump administration has imposed on China’s Huawei Technologies Co. It increased the risk-on sentiment in the markets.
- Oil prices jumped on the news that Saudi Arabian oil field was attacked by the drone.
- On the Brexit front, the government preparations to the no-deal Brexit were leaked. As a result, Jeremy Corbyn plans to bring opposition parties together next week to discuss the prevention of a no-deal Brexit.
The United States will publish a weekly update on unemployment claims on July 9, at 15:30 MT time.
The market sentiment deteriorated amid increasing virus cases in the USA and Australia. Investors prefer safe-haven assets like gold, the US dollar and the Japanese yen.
Riskier currencies and stocks are in favor of investors. Surprisingly, gold rallies too. Let’s have a closer look.
Congratulations! Gold has just opened a new era... or, rather, reopened...
Canada will publish the employment change and the unemployment rate on July 10, at 15:30 MT time.