The ECB Monetary Policy Meeting Accounts will be released at 14:30 MT on January 16
Daily News: Monday, February 19
The beginning of the week starts with interesting economic events. Stay informed!
- Asian equities have shown their best figures since September 2016, despite the Lunar New Year holiday and in the U.S. for Presidents’ Day. It affected oil prices a lot.
- Oil hit the highest level in two weeks. US WTI reached $62.41 per barrel, Brent $65.44 per barrel. However, it has been under pressure from the rise in US rig count (rose by seven to 798 – its highest since April 2015) and small US dollar recovery. Market holidays in the US and China are supposed to slow down trading.
- US 10-year Treasury yields reached its best numbers in four years of 3% based on positive consumer prices’ data. However, there are doubts among experts that they will go further. Reasons are hidden in the gradual rise of US inflation. So let’s see.
- New difficulties in Brexit deal. The European Parliament Brexit coordinator Guy Verhofstadt said that trade deal will not be finalized before an exit day. It will be an “annex” inside the withdrawal agreement that will clarify how a future relationship will look like, it will be applied during the transitional period while current rules remain in place.
- Such decision was banned by the UK Prime Minister before. It will definitely lead to more difficulties in negotiations.
- USD/JPY could go away from the dangerous figure of 105. After reaching 105.538, the pair turned in the opposite direction. However, the Japanese trade balance data was better than expected.
- The US dollar is still falling.
- Bitcoin is in a positive mood. On Friday BTC/USD closed higher $10,000 on Bitfinex. Although we can see a slight fall after weekends, Bitcoin is climbing to $11,000. It has good chances to hit this level.
- What to expect this week: on Tuesday at 2:30 MT time the Australian Monetary Policy Meeting Minutes, on Wednesday at 16:15 MT time the UK Inflation Report Hearings, at 22:00 MT time FOMC Meeting Minutes, on Thursday at 14:30 MT time ECB Monetary Policy Meeting Accounts, at 23:45 MT time New Zealand Retail Sales q/q, on Friday at 15:30 MT time Canadian CPI m/m.
We expect the US-China phase one trade deal to be signed on Wednesday and multiple important indicators for the USD. Plus, it is the first week of the earnings reports
The British yearly CPI will be released at 11:30 MT on January 15
Netflix releases its Q4'2019 earnings report on Tuesday at 13:00 MT (11:00 GMT). Are you ready to trade stock on it?
The Bank of Canada (BOC) will release its rate statement alongside the monetary policy report during its meeting on January 22 at 17:00 MT time.
Events in Libya pushed the oil price up. So what's the strategy to benefit from it?