Services and Manufacturing PMIs are out on Wednesday at 11:30 MT time.
Daily News: Thursday, February 22
The Fed’s meeting caused a lot of events on the FX market. Let’s look!
- The US dollar remains strong after the Fed’s minutes. Yesterday Fed’s meeting minutes just strengthened the confidence of soon rate hikes based on the upgraded forecast for the economic outlook since December. Talks about the fourth rise of the interest rate appeared immediately, however, it is too early to talk about it. The soonest rate hike is anticipated in March.
- The Fed meeting was followed by several consequents. The US stock market closed lower. The S&P 500 Index fell by 0.67%. Despite the Fed’s positive comments on the economy, investors focused on the rate hikes that will have a negative effect on the stock market in a short-term.
- The strengthening of the greenback led to the further plunge of the euro. The EUR/USD pair is lower 1.23. The only thing that can support the euro now is today ECB monetary policy meeting accounts (14:30 MT time) with views on a potential change in the forward guidance.
- The dollar is appreciating against all currencies except the yen. The USD/JPY pair is falling again. The yen is a safe haven currency that increases during times of uncertainty and decrease of risk appetite. As soon as speculations of a soon rise of the US interest rate reduced investor’s risk appetite and affected equities’ growth, the Japanese currency jumped.
- Canadian retail sales and core retail sales figures will be released today at 15:30 MT time. The forecast is lower than the previous data, so. The USD/CAD pair is climbing to 38.2 Fibonacci retracement level at 1.2720.
- Oil is continuing to fall. Strong dollar and today crude oil inventories data have affected oil prices again, so an increase of the American oil production is anticipated. WTI is trading near $61 a barrel, Brent is near $65 a barrel.
The market sentiment is mixed as investors weigh US stimulus package against the rising infections and worse-than-expected US unemployment claims. Jump in for fresh analysis of EUR/USD, USD/JPY, S&P 500 and gold!
US Initial jobless claims will be announced on Thursday at 15:30 MT time.
The US dollar has broken through the key resistance, it failed to cross since March so far. Riskier assets are dipping. Let’s discuss it in detail.