What will happen? The US Q2 Gross Domestic Product will be announced at 15:30 MT time (GMT+3) on Thursday, July 29…
Latest forex news on July 22
- The market sentiment is risk-on today. The US dollar continues waning, while riskier assets and precious metals are rising. Nasdaq surged to the record high at 10 860.
- The risk appetite boosted by the optimistic news from biotech companies. AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Synairgen revealed successful vaccine tests and effective coronavirus treatments.
- The USA is going to follow the EU example on supporting the economy. Recently the EU members agreed on a 750-billion-euros recovery fund. US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi were discussing the further fiscal stimulus package.
- Australian preliminary retail sales rose by 2.4% in June. It was lower than in May, when sales grew by 16.9%. However, the AUD is climbing up on the current risk-on mood.
EUR/USD surged higher on the positive news on the EU recovery fund and vaccine promising results. It reached the level unseen since January 6, 2019 at 1.1530. However, it has showed some weakness recently. It may meet the support at the key psychological mark at 1.1500. If it falls below that level, it will reach the next support at the low of July 21 at 1.1440.
The S&P 500 surged higher and reached the 3 250 level. It may meet the resistance at 3 325. If it breaks it through, the stock index may increase to the all-time high at 3 390. Support levels are at the low of July 16 at 3 190 and at the 200-day moving average at 3 045.
Gold reached rates unseen since September 1, 2011 at $1 860. These days it tends to rise together with stocks. Support levels are at $ 1 840 and at $ 1 815.
The risk-sensitive British pound surged but then closed in red. According to the Telegraph, there are no developments in Brexit talks. The breakthrough is only expected at the year-end, when the transition period expires. Let’s look at the daily GBP/USD chart. If the price breaks the high of June 10 and the 78.6% Fibonacci level at 1.2816, it will jump higher to the key psychological mark at 1.300. Otherwise, if it falls below the support at the 200-day moving average at 1.2700, it may plummet even deeper to the next support at 61.8% Fibo level at 1.2520.
- The Canadian CPI will be published at 15:30 MT time. Don't miss out!
- Follow the US crude oil inventories report at 17:30 MT time.
Today the Fed will make a policy statement at 21:00 GMT+3. This event will affect all the currency pairs with the USD and thus almost the all Forex market!
Hong Kong stock index extended a decline sparked by China’s tech crackdown. Tesla posted better-than-expected results. Jump in!
What events to follow and how to trade during the week of July 2-6?
EUR/USD retraced to 1.1870 after breaking out this level. It should be just a natural sell-off ahead of the further rally up.
The Fed held a much-awaited meeting yesterday. The bank hasn’t made any policy changes. As a result, the USD weakened and EUR/USD rocketed. Jump in to know all the latest news!