US Initial jobless claims will be announced on Thursday at 15:30 MT time.
Main market movements on August 13
The market sentiment switched to risk-on. The US dollar is dipping down, while riskier assets are rising, especially the Australian dollar after the positive employment data. All eyes on US unemployment claims.
- 114 700 people have found jobs in Australia, while analysts expected only 30 000. In addition, the unemployment rate increased by 7.5%, that was less than the forecast of 7.8%. As a result, the Australian dollar surged. We’ll discuss technical levels below.
- The US consumer price index came out better than expected yesterday. It was 0.6%, while the forecast was 0.3%.
- Democrats and Republicans stay far apart on the next fiscal stimulus package. The longer talks continue, the more it weighs on the US economy.
- Crude oil inventories contracted by 4.5 million barrels, while analysts foresaw the 3.4-million drop.
The Australian dollar surged, but then bounced off the resistance at the high of August 11 at 0.7185. If It manages to cross this level, it will open doors towards the next resistance at the high of August 7 at 0.7215. Support levels are 0.7145 and 0.7115.
EUR/USD has just broken out the 61.8% Fibonacci level. It may have a short pullback back to this level, but then it should surge higher to the key psychological mark at 1.1900. Support levels are 1.1820 and 1.1800.
S&P 500 is edging higher. It almost reached the all-time high at 3 390, but then slightly contracted. Vaccine hopes and declining infections should support the current risk-on sentiment and drive the stock index higher. Watch out the key resistance at 3 390. The move above will push the price to 3 400. Support levels are at the low of August 11 at 3 315 and at 3 270.
Finally, let’s look at the gold chart. It has just crossed the resistance at $1 930. Therefore, it should reach the next one at $1 950. Support levels at $1 910 and $1 880.
- The US unemployment claims will be released at 15:30 MT time!
The US dollar has broken through the key resistance, it failed to cross since March so far. Riskier assets are dipping. Let’s discuss it in detail.
Services and Manufacturing PMIs are out on Wednesday at 11:30 MT time.
China’s Manufacturing PMI will be out on Wednesday at 04:00 MT time!
China's industrial rebound, progress in US fiscal stimulus and other important news in this article.
The market sentiment is mixed as investors weigh US stimulus package against the rising infections and worse-than-expected US unemployment claims. Jump in for fresh analysis of EUR/USD, USD/JPY, S&P 500 and gold!