Canada will announce its monthly GDP on July 31, at 15:30 MT time.
Market updates on July 17
Key events ahead
- British CPI – 11:30 MT time
- Canadian CPI – 15:30 MT time
- Crude oil inventories – 17:30 MT time.
- Yesterday’s release of retail sales for the US outperformed the expectations (+0.4% vs. +0.1%) and pushed the USD higher against other currencies. The GBP/USD pair suffered the most as political uncertainties keep adding pressure on the British pound. The cable retested its lowest levels since January’s flash crash at 1.2379 on H4. The release of consumer inflation for the UK came in line with the expectations. It helped the GBP to get positive momentum a little bit. If bulls manage to break the resistance at 1.2419, the next key level will lie at 1.2434. The further rise will be limited by the resistance at 1.2477. On the other hand, if the cable continues to fall down, the pair will stick below the 1.2379 level. The next support will be placed at 1.2345.
- USD/MXN has risen on the stronger dollar and the disappointing news on Pemex. The plan to reduce taxes on the company disappointed investors. The first resistance will lie at 19.1430. The next resistance level will be placed at 19.1926 (200-period SMA). On the other hand, if the MXN gets stronger, the fall below the 19.0980 level will be inevitable. The next support will be placed at 19.0406. RSI is about to leave the overbought zone, which may provide a short-term selling opportunity.
- USD/CAD is trading within the downward trading channel at the last November’s lows. The pair is moving to the support at 1.3049. The next support level will be placed at 1.3030-1.3020. From the upside, pay attention to the 1.3077 level. If this level is broken, the next key resistance will lie at 1.3091. Bulls will push the pair as far as the 1.3132 level will be reached. The traders of this pair need to pay attention to the release of Canadian CPI at 15:30 MT and the level of crude oil inventories. Higher figures of CPI and the lower number of oil barrels will bring positive momentum to the CAD.
The United States will release the advance GDP growth rate for the previous quarter on July 30, at 15:30 MT time.
The US unemployment claims are announced on Thursday at 15:30 MT time.
Follow the report on August 14 at 15:30 MT time!
The market sentiment switched to risk-on. The US dollar is dipping down, while riskier assets are rising, especially the Australian dollar after the positive employment data. All eyes on US unemployment claims.
Everyone is talking about a stock split of Tesla. What is it?