The market sentiment is mixed, but there are still interesting movements on the market.
Market updates on October 4: NFP edition
Key events ahead:
- Non-farm employment change (non-farm payrolls) – 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT)
- Average hourly earnings – 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT)
- Unemployment change – 15:30 MT (12:30 GMT)
The market is awaiting US employment data at 15:30 MT time. What are the forecasts? The level of average hourly earnings is forecast to increase by 0.3%, while non-farm payrolls are expected to advance by 130 thousand. At the same time, analysts anticipate the unemployment rate to remain at 3.7%. If the actual levels of average hourly earnings and NFP are higher and the unemployment rate is lower than the forecasts, the USD will appreciate against other currencies.
What are the key levels for the pairs ahead of the release?
- EUR/USD has been consolidating near the 1.0979 level on H4. If the figures of today’s indicators are better than the expectations, the pair will slide downwards to the 1.0957 level. If bears are so excited by the release, they will break the support at 1.0957 and drag the pair below the 50-period SMA at 1.0947 and a lower border of the ascending channel. The next support will be placed at 1.0929-1.0936.
In case of a disappointing NFP release, bulls will be looking for a breakout of the 1.0979 level. Further upside momentum will be limited by the 1.0992 (100-period SMA) and 1.1 levels. If EUR/USD overcomes these levels, the pair will rise as far as the 1.1021 level will be reached.
- GBP/USD may move on the NFP release, too. At the moment, it is consolidating between the resistance at 1.2354 and the support at 1.2324 on the 4-hour chart. If the USD is supported, bears will break the 1.2324 level and pull the cable towards the 1.2306 level (200-period SMA). Further key levels for bears will lie at 1.2273-1.2283. In case of an alternative scenario, GBP/USD will try to break the 1.2354 level. The next resistance level will lie at 1.2373. In case of a breakout, the pair will rise upwards to the 1.2419 level.
- Will USD/JPY slide lower? It is the main question ahead of the NFP data. It is obvious, that disappointment in indicators will result in the selling action of the pair, which may pull it below the support at 106.72 to the next support level at 106.47 (look at H4). The next level will be placed below the descending trend line at 106.34. On the other hand, bulls will be waiting for a retest of the 106.95 level. The next resistance in their focus will be situated at 107.09 (200-period SMA)
US Core monthly retails sales will be announced on Friday at 15:30 MT time.
Stock significantly surged: S&P 500 and Nasdaq reached 6-week highs. The market sentiment may deteriorate today as Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine trails have been stopped because of the unexplained illness.
Canada’s retail sales will be out on October 21 at 15:30 MT time. Get ready with us for this event!
The market is resilient ahead of the speeches of Fed’s Powell and ECB President Lagarde, but there are still interesting movements.
The uncertainty over US fiscal stimulus and Brexit, and also rising new virus cases deteriorated the market mood. That’s why we can expect the further rally of the US dollar and the fall of riskier assets today.