Fed Chair Jerome Powell will testify today at 19:05 MT time. This event is crucial for traders as the tone of the speech may set the risk tone for the markets for the next two weeks.
Market updates on October 9
Key events ahead:
- Meetings of the Eurogroup
- Speech by the Fed Chair Jerome Powell – 18:00 MT (15:00 GMT) time
- Speech by the FOMC member George – 18:00 MT (15:00 GMT) time
- FOMC meeting minutes – 21:00 MT (18:00 GMT) time
- Several events may determine the direction of EUR/USD today. Bulls will be awaiting the updates from the Eurogroup meetings, while bears will pay attention to the events with an impact on the USD. If the euro is supported, the break of the 1.0963 level will happen and the pair will rise towards the next resistance at 1.0973. On the other hand, a strong USD may pull the pair below the 1.0955 level to the next support at 1.0944. After that, bears will target the 1.0936
- USD/JPY pair is consolidating under the 200-period SMA on H4 ahead of the US-China trade talks scheduled for tomorrow. That is why any fresh updates on the main trade issues may affect the risk sentiment in the market and move the pair. In case of risk-off sentiment, the pair will fall towards the 106.95 level. The next support in the focus of bears will be placed at 106.76. If the risk sentiment is on, USD/JPY will try to break the 107.19 level. The next resistance level will be at 107.41 (50-period SMA).
- USD/CHF has been trading within an ascending trading channel on H4. Yesterday, the pair has tested the resistance at 0.9939, which lies close to the 100-period SMA. The next resistance lies at 0.9949. If it is broken, reaching the 0.9960 level will be possible. From the downside, key levels are, as follows: 0.9925, 0.9907 (lower border of the ascending trading channel) and 0.9897.
Non-farm payrolls, the most awaited economic report, will be out on March 5 at 15:30 MT time.
Australian GDP rose by 3.1%, exceeding analysts’ forecasts of 2.5%. The Australian dollar climbed after the release, but then joined its peers in falling against the USD.
Great news for oil bulls! OPEC and its allied producers agreed to expand output cuts for the next month.
The USD skyrocketed after Fed Powell’s speech. OPEC and allied producers agreed to extend production cuts for another month. Oil surged.
The European Central Bank publishes its monetary policy statement that includes an announcement of the interest rate on March 11, at 14:45 MT time.