This article introduces you to a trading strategy that doesn’t require volumes, technical indicators, and price patterns. All you need to do is to be attentive to the price action. Welcome to the Imbalance tutorial.
Momentum Trading Strategy
2023-07-26 • Updated
In the world of forex trading, where profit potential is the ultimate goal, traders constantly seek strategies to provide them with an edge. The combination of Moving Average Convergence Divergence (MACD) and Relative Strength Index (RSI) indicators has emerged as a popular choice among the many available techniques. This article explores the MACD + RSI trading strategy and how it can be effectively employed to identify trade opportunities in the forex market.
Indicators: Relative Strength Index (RSI), Moving Average Convergence Divergence (MACD) with the default settings.
MACD is a momentum oscillator that consists of a signal line and histogram. The histogram represents the difference between the fast and slow EMAs, while the signal line is a smoothed version of the histogram line. When the signal line is below the histogram line, the trend is bullish; otherwise – bearish. The intersection of lines gives signals to buy or sell.
The Relative Strength Index (RSI) is a momentum oscillator that evaluates the speed and change of price movements. The RSI calculation involves comparing the magnitude of recent gains to recent losses and generating a value between 0 and 100. RSI levels above 70 typically indicate overbought conditions, suggesting a potential price reversal or correction. Conversely, RSI levels below 30 often signify oversold conditions, indicating a potential upward price movement.
Timeframe: H1 - H4
Risk management rules: 2-5% as margin from the overall balance
Rules for a long entry
- Spot a moment when the RSI is below 30, and the MACD signal line is above the histogram line.
- Wait until the RSI rises above 30 and the MACD signal line falls below the histogram line.
- Enter a buy trade.
- Set take profit at the resistance level or when a “sell signal” occurs.
- Set stop loss according to your risk-reward ratio (1:3 - 1:5 is recommended) or below the recent low.
Rules for a short entry
- Spot a moment when the RSI is above 70 and the MACD signal line is below the histogram line.
- Wait until the RSI falls below 70 and the MACD signal line rises above the histogram line.
- Enter a sell trade.
- Set take profit at the support level or when a “buy signal” occurs.
- Set stop loss according to your risk-reward ratio (1:3 - 1:5 is recommended) or above the recent high.
Like any other strategy, combining MACD and RSI does not guarantee a 100% result. However, it is essential to follow the rules to improve the outcome.
- It is recommended to open trades following the trend. To do this, you must extend a larger timeframe and determine the general direction.
- Setting stop loss and taking profit ratios greater than 1:2 is recommended. A ratio of 1:3 to 1:5 fits the best.
Trade with FBS using MACD and RSI Oscillators and become a true professional!
Why do traders prefer gold? There are many reasons. In this article, we’ll discuss the reasons for choosing gold as a trading asset, what moves gold prices, and how to trade gold via CFD.
The DeMarker Indicator was invented and described by Thomas DeMark.
How to open an FBS account?
Click the ‘Open account’ button on our website and proceed to the Personal Area. Before you can start trading, pass a profile verification. Confirm your email and phone number, get your ID verified. This procedure guarantees the safety of your funds and identity. Once you are done with all the checks, go to the preferred trading platform, and start trading.
How to start trading?
If you are 18+ years old, you can join FBS and begin your FX journey. To trade, you need a brokerage account and sufficient knowledge on how assets behave in the financial markets. Start with studying the basics with our free educational materials and creating an FBS account. You may want to test the environment with virtual money with a Demo account. Once you are ready, enter the real market and trade to succeed.
How to withdraw the money you earned with FBS?
The procedure is very straightforward. Go to the Withdrawal page on the website or the Finances section of the FBS Personal Area and access Withdrawal. You can get the earned money via the same payment system that you used for depositing. In case you funded the account via various methods, withdraw your profit via the same methods in the ratio according to the deposited sums.