While Ichimoku indicator may seem strange to a novice trader, it can be used in a very good trading strategy. Want to check it out? Read the article!
The third touch trading strategy
2020-03-25 • Updated
The third touch (also known as the third strike) trading strategy is another strategy that we are going to introduce to our traders. Unlike complicated strategies with the usage of many indicators, the “third touch” requires only one element – a trend line.
- You can implement the strategy on all of the trading instruments, including stocks and commodities.
- It is not recommended to use this strategy on the timeframes, which are smaller than M30. The smaller the timeframe, the lower the possibility of a good signal because of the price noise.
Let’s consider the steps that you need to follow. At first, let’s look at the scenario when you want to open a long position.
- You see the upward movement and draw the trend line, which connects two lowest points. These points ideally should be the extremums. This is the most difficult part of the strategy.
- We wait for the correction to the downside and enter the market after the price touches the trendline for the third time and the bullish candlestick is formed. We open a long position at the closing price of this bullish candlestick.
- We place a stop loss below the previous support level.
- Our take profit level is calculated as follows:
The highest level after the “A” point – the lowest level at the “A” point = the number of pips you need to add to your entry level.
We will use the EUR/USD chart with M30 timeframe as an example.
On March 11, the pair started to move up. We waited for the point “B” to draw the ascending trendline. After that, we waited for the third touch at the point “C” and opened a position on the closing price of the bullish candlestick at 1.1292. We place the stop loss level at 1.1265 (lower than the previous support). Our take profit equals the size between point A (1.1221) and the highest point after point A (1.1272). Thus, we place it at 1.1343 (the entry point + (1.1272-1.1221).
For the short position, you need to follow the following steps.
- When the downward movement appears, you draw a trendline between two highest points.
- After the second of the trendline, we need to wait for the correction to the upside. Next, we wait for the price to touch the trendline for the third time. The short position needs to be opened at the closing price of the bearish candlestick formed after the third touch.
- We place a stop loss above the previous resistance level
- Our take profit level is calculated as follows:
The highest level at the “A” point – the lowest level after the “A” point = the number of pips you need to deduct from your entry level.
On February 14, the EUR/USD pair bounced from the 1.2434 level and corrected to the downside. After the short-term correction, the price jumped to the upside but failed to move higher than the point “B”. The situation helped us to suggest about the possible downtrend’s formation. We waited for the point “C” to confirm our thoughts and entered a short position after the bearish candlestick was formed. The entry was placed at the closing price of the candlestick at 1.2405. Our stop loss was set above the previous resistance at 1.2421. Take profit was calculated as the entry point minus the distance between the “A” point and the lowest point after “A”: 1.2405- (1.2434-1.2387) = 1.2358.
In this article, we explained an easy-to-use strategy for trend traders. Its advantage is that it requires only trendline and the support and resistance levels. However, you need to be careful while trading the pairs and be sure that there are no events which may affect the movement of a trend.
Earnings seasons offer unique opportunities for traders…
The stock market is full of various indices. Nasdaq is just one of them. But why is it so popular among traders? What makes it so special? Let’s find out.
Frequently asked questions
How to open an FBS account?
Click the ‘Open account’ button on our website and proceed to the Personal Area. Before you can start trading, pass a profile verification. Confirm your email and phone number, get your ID verified. This procedure guarantees the safety of your funds and identity. Once you are done with all the checks, go to the preferred trading platform, and start trading.
How to withdraw the money you earned with FBS?
The procedure is very straightforward. Go to the Withdrawal page on the website or the Finances section of the FBS Personal Area and access Withdrawal. You can get the earned money via the same payment system that you used for depositing. In case you funded the account via various methods, withdraw your profit via the same methods in the ratio according to the deposited sums.
How to start trading?
If you are 18+ years old, you can join FBS and begin your FX journey. To trade, you need a brokerage account and sufficient knowledge on how assets behave in the financial markets. Start with studying the basics with our free educational materials and creating an FBS account. You may want to test the environment with virtual money with a Demo account. Once you are ready, enter the real market and trade to succeed.
How to activate Level Up Bonus?
Open Level Up Bonus account in web or mobile version of FBS Personal Area and get up to $140 free to your account.