What is The Sandbox? A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding the Metaverse's Revolutionary Gaming Platform
Do you like gaming? Whether your answer is positive or negative, it wouldn’t change the fact that, as a trader, you probably don’t have time to indulge in your hobbies. But what if we told you there was a way to game and engage in trading simultaneously? Sounds interesting? Well, then, you would definitely like to learn more about The Sandbox Metaverse. In this article, you’ll find out what it is, how it works, and what opportunities it offers users.
Introduction to The Sandbox: a virtual gaming platform
The Sandbox is a virtual gaming world first launched in 2018 by its developer Pixowl. Having had quite a successful experience with the mobile version of The Sandbox in the previous years, the company decided it was time to expand the reach of its product to a larger audience.
However, switching platforms can be challenging for any game developer, especially if there are popular games of the same genre occupying the niche. That’s why contemporary developers must find new ways to attract the audience. Some offer advanced cooperation modes; others focus on giving players a creative outlet.
The Sandbox, however, combines both of these things and allows its users to make money. “How does this work?” you may ask. Well, let’s find out.
The concept and features of The Sandbox
The Sandbox is a virtual gaming world built on the Ethereum blockchain platform that consists of countless virtual land plots. They are NFTs that players can customize in any way they want. Users can buy, sell, or rent these plots and even use them to construct various buildings and create new customized games and other user-generated content.
At its core, The Sandbox comprises three primary tools:
- VoxEdit. This product is a virtual editor that players can use to create 3D voxel models. The models are built out of voxels—tiny 3D pixels—which allow users to create a wide variety of game objects, from buildings to animated humans. After the objects are finished, users can incorporate them into the gaming world as unique NFT Assets.
- Marketplace. After creating voxel models, users can sell them in The Sandbox’s Marketplace. To do it, they first need to register the models on the blockchain by uploading them to an IPFS network for decentralized storage. This procedure allows users to prove ownership over their creations and use them as in-game NFT Assets to place them in their world or sell them in the Marketplace.
- Game Maker. The Game Maker is a tool for building 3D games within The Sandbox. Users don’t need a coding background to do this, as the platform offers a wide range of user-friendly visual scripting tools.
In a nutshell, The Sandbox is a decentralized platform that allows its users to create NFTs and trade them for in-game tokens.
Creating and customizing your own virtual world
The Sandbox’s key selling point is the possibility to customize players’ experience fully. While the game appears as a large virtual world on the surface, it provides players with all the necessary tools to fill it with whatever they want, whether buildings, animals, or even full-fledged 3D games.
This level of customization allows players to make the most out of the game without any restrictions. After buying or renting a land plot, players can tailor it to their wants and means. In addition to this, players can also visit the land plots of others and interact with different creations (or Assets), and find inspiration for their own projects.
However, what makes The Sandbox different from other metaverses is that here creativity is rewarded. Players can earn crypto tokens by selling their Assets in the Marketplace, monetizing their games, or renting their land plots to other players. And now you’ll learn how exactly earning money through The Sandbox works.
The Sandbox's Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) and blockchain integration
The Sandbox metaverse is based on the Ethereum blockchain, meaning players can register every Asset they created in this gaming ecosystem on the blockchain and protect it from copying.
The blockchain integration also allows The Sandbox to implement an innovative in-game economy that will enable players to earn money. To support this unique economy, the game utilizes three types of Non-Fungible Tokens:
- SAND. SAND is the metaverse's main currency that supports the platform's growth. All transactions between players are carried out in SAND. Players can use SAND to get access to custom-made games, create Avatars, and buy equipment and Assets from the Marketplace. Since the game is based on the blockchain, SAND is built on the Ethereum platform as an ERC-20 utility token, which means players can purchase it on cryptocurrency trading platforms. Players can also stake their SAND coins to receive passive revenue.
- LAND. While SAND is necessary to carry out in-game transactions, LAND is another Ethereum NFT that players must purchase to experience everything the game offers. LAND refers to real estate plots players buy within the gaming world. Each unit of LAND is 96 m2 large, which allows players to create and place multiple Assets and games. The metaverse map consists of over 100,000 LANDs, and players can buy their individual units by waiting for the start of LAND sales on the map.
- Assets. Unlike SAND and LAND, Assets are Non-Fungible Tokens that players create on their own and are part of user-generated content. Assets are built in the VoxEdit and then registered on the blockchain, securing the ownership behind their creators. Afterward, players can sell their Assets in the Marketplace and transfer the ownership to other players in exchange for SAND.
As you see, The Sandbox offers a complex monetary system that encourages players to truly engage with the platform and community to create a better gaming experience.
Playing and earning money in The Sandbox's metaverse
The Sandbox is not the first metaverse to integrate cryptocurrencies into its virtual world. The most notable examples of such cryptocurrencies include:
- Floki. Floki is not a traditional metaverse but a specific digital ecosystem consisting of the game Valhalla, the marketplace FlokiPlaces, the crypto-learning platform University of Floki, Floki DeFi, and Floki NFT Collections. The ecosystem uses its original cryptocurrency, Floki Inu, which has become popular among the meme community.
- Decentraland (MANA). It is one of the first cryptocurrencies of the Decentraland cryptocurrency universe created by Meta Platforms. As the title suggests, the platform has no regulator; users interact with each other by buying and selling digital assets. Decentraland uses the MANA coin, which also runs on the Ethereum platform. At the peak of its popularity in 2021, the coin's value grew by more than 60%. But, as is often the case with cryptocurrency, all good things can end quickly. In 2022, the coin's price fell by more than 90%.
- Metahero. Metahero is a cryptocurrency coin implemented by Metahero, a company that works on creating 3D models from the real world. So, if you, for example, want to be present in the metaverse, you can now digitize your image by creating a three-dimensional avatar.
The Sandbox, however, is different from how all these platforms work. It is built like a game, and the platform's primary goal is to provide its players with entertainment and creative outlets. The cryptocurrency aspect helps to encourage players to continue the development of the virtual world and connect the game to reality, enhancing the virtual reality experience.
In The Sandbox, there are multiple ways to earn money:
- building and selling Assets created in the VoxEdit,
- renting out or selling LAND to other users,
- staking SAND to support the blockchain and receive passive income,
- developing 3D games with the Game Maker and monetizing them to receive profit when other users decide to play them.
As you can see, The Sandbox offers much more elaborate ways to earn money through entertainment and encourages users to continue playing the game.
Future developments and potential impact of The Sandbox
Currently, The Sandbox is focused on expanding its user base.
The Sandbox metaverse has already partnered with multiple well-known brands, such as Hell's Kitchen, Snoop Dogg, Adidas, Atari, and the number of potential partners (including Forbes) is expected to grow in the near future. Doing this allows the creators to spread awareness about the game among the general public and attract new users. The more players participate in the game, the higher the price of the SAND coin climbs, making it even more profitable for players to continue playing the game.
Another strategy the platform employs is cooperation with other countries. As it is, the developers are planning to expand their reach to Germany after acquiring Sviper GmbH, a senior-level game development company. At the same time, there are plans to establish cooperation with Saudi Arabia.
By the end of 2023, The Sandbox plans to launch its DAO and start its operation at full capacity.
If The Sandbox metaverse proves successful, it can change how gaming and crypto trading platforms work. The combination of entertainment and trading can attract more people to cryptocurrency trading, especially those who never thought of doing it before, and popularize it among the general public. And if the number of crypto traders/gamers increases dramatically, it can transform the crypto market entirely. That's why following the updates about The Sandbox metaverse can help you adjust to potential changes.
Conclusion: Why The Sandbox is the future of gaming
The Sandbox is a unique platform that combines crypto trading with gaming. The metaverse allows traders to not only engage in traditional crypto trading but also customize their gaming experience as much as they want and earn additional coins for selling their creations. If this project succeeds in the long run, it has the potential to revolutionize the gaming industry.
At the same time, it's important to remember that this new metaverse is only starting to expand its reach to a larger audience. While the SAND coin has already been integrated into crypto trading platforms, its price is still unstable. However, with the game's development, the capitalization of the leading coin, Sand, may also grow.
Investment in The Sandbox is like investing in a big venture project. Thus, you must answer the question: "Do you believe that metaverses will continue rising?" If yes, then Sandbox is a good option for buying. But if you're still unsure, you can always rely on traditional trading to give you plenty of opportunities to make a substantial profit.