It seems like the rally of the greenback has ended. On Monday, the US dollar index was below $93.50. Tuesday’s attempts to recover are not successful. The index is below $93.40. No important economic data will be released today.
3 or 4 rate hikes in the end?
The US dollar was falling ahead of the Fed’s statement and could not strengthen even after. Let’s look why the Fed could not support the USD.
The central bank has announced an interest rate, and, as expected, it was raised by 25bp. The Fed based its decision on the strengthening economy. The line that the "economic outlook has strengthened in recent months" was added to the statement.
Key points of the Statement:
- Although inflation is still below the Fed’s target of 2%, it showed a positive dynamics. So it is expected to move up in coming months (in the last statement Mr. Powell talked about the year, not months);
- Job gains were strong and unemployment was low;
- Near-term risks to the economic outlook are roughly balanced, however, the Fed will look at the inflation development closely;
- However, despite positive assessments of the economy, the committee’s forecast for the long-run sustainable growth rate of the economy was unchanged at 1.8 percent;
- The Chairman said that the stance of the monetary policy remains accommodative;
- Trade wars were not considered in the outlook.
And what about future rate hikes?
According to economic projections, Fed officials are split on whether two or three additional interest rate increases will be needed this year. So Mr. Powell said their future policy will highly depend on the economic data. Too fast rate hikes can negatively affect the inflation.
Although rate hikes are supposed to support a domestic currency, the greenback was weak ahead and during the Fed’s statement. First of all, an unstable environment in the White House, a possibility of trade wars, and NAFTA negotiations are highly affecting the USD now. Secondly, the rate hike was so predictable, that investors did not react to it a lot. More likely, that one rate hike will not be able to support the US dollar in the long-term.
This economic indicator is highly important for the Bank of England’s monetary policy because it is used as the central bank’s inflation target.
The weekly indicator of consumer confidence from ANZ rallied by 0…
America’s on the verge of starting an investigation into whether thermoplastic components utilized in some Japanese as well as German vehicles sold in the country violate its patent laws or not…
On Monday, gold headed south in European trade, making its way toward a three-week minimum after American congressional leaders came to an agreement to fund the government via the fall, thus easing worries as for a shutdown of the federal government…
On Tuesday, crude prices traded weaker because a poll on Chinese manufacturing came in weaker than expected and market participants looked ahead to American inventories on oil as well as refined products to set the overall tone…