Last week was full of surprises! Stock indices have shown significant growth…
Strong US Retail Sales Pressed Gold
What to know before trading today
- The US showed strong retail sales for August despite the spread of the Delta virus strain. As a result, the US dollar rocketed and gold dropped by 2286 points in half an hour after the release.
- Some pressure on stocks can be caused by the expires of options today, known as "quadruple witching."
- China's second-largest real-estate company, Evergrande, has huge financial troubles. The stock’s losses are weighing on sentiment in Asia. The Hang Seng Index is at its lows unseen since November 2020. Read more about Alibaba.
- Cryptocurrencies keep rising. Bitcoin is trading around $48,000.
- Crude oil pauses such a long rally. XBR/USD (Brent oil) is trading sideways near a significant resistance level of $75.00.
GBP/USD is moving inside the ascending channel. It has bounced off the support line at 1.3785. After a short pullback, it should continue edging higher. However, if it drops below 1.3785, it may fall to the lows of early September at 1.3750.
USD/JPY is moving up in the ascending channel as well. It has reversed up from the support line and has got closer to the significant resistance level of 110.00, which the pair may struggle to break on the first try. However, if it manages to cross it, the way up to the high of early September at 110.30.
Gold is trying to recover from yesterday’s losses. It may rise to the resistance level of $1780. The move above it will lead the metal to the 200-period moving average of $1790. Support levels are the recent low of $1750 and the lows of early August at $1725.
The US dollar is heading to close the seventh day in the red as it remains under selling pressure. The US data at 15:30 GMT+3 (jobless claims and Philly Fed Manufacturing Index) may support the greenback if it's strong.
The United States will release the weekly Unemployment Claims on October 21, at 15:30 MT time (GMT+3).
S&P 500 and Nasdaq are still near all-time highs, supported by robust corporate earnings. Gold keeps moving inside the ascending channel.
What will happen? ECB will report its Monetary Policy statement at 14:45 MT (GMT+3) on Thursday, October 28…
What will happen? BOC will report its Monetary Policy statement at 17:00 MT (GMT+3) on Wednesday, October 27…