Morgan Stanley, a huge investment bank, has warned investors about a “risk” not having Tesla stock.
EUR/USD skyrocketed ahead of ECB’s speech
2020-10-19 • Updated
The euro has started the week on a positive footing, surging to the key resistance of 1.1800.
Tailwinds of EUR/USD
- Pfizer announced that the vaccine may be launched by the end of this year. That optimistic news improved the market sentiment after Johnson & Johnson halted the vaccine trial last week.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sets the 48-hour deadline to unveil the fiscal stimulus before the US election. After that global stock surged, adding to the overall risk-on sentiment.
- As a result, the safe-haven US dollar waned amid the upbeat investor’s mood, driving EUR/USD up.
Headwinds of EUR/USD
- New virus cases have sharply risen in the Eurozone, forcing countries to tighten up restrictions. France has reported 30 000 new daily cases over the past 24 hours.
- China has reported worse-than-expected GDP for the third quarter, but other less important indicators from the second-largest economy exceeded expectations.
EUR/USD has approached the 50-day moving average of 1.1180. The move above this level will drive the price towards October’s high of 1.1830. The RSI indicator signals the further rising as it has just crossed the midpoint. If it manages to break out 1.1830 as well, the way to the peak of mid-September at 1.1860 will be clear. Support levels are 1.1700 and 1.1650.
All eyes on speeches of Fed’s Powell and ECB President Lagarde at 15.00 and 15:45 MT time! If one of the central banks is pessimistic, points to bumpy recovery, and hints for further easing or lowering rates, it will drive its currency down. Otherwise - the optimistic comments and no clues for more easing will drive the currency up.
On April 15, Bank of America and Citigroup report their earnings in the first quarter of 2021. Are they equally good?
According to ING, EUR/USD is likely to dip further this week. So far, support at 1.1700 has been held, but the pair may break down to the low of 1.16 this week.
PepsiCo will publish its financial results for the first quarter of this year on April 15 at 13:00 MT. Be prepared!
Coca-Cola reports its quarterly earnings for the first quarter of 2021 on April 19, 12:30 MT time. What will be the possible impact on the stock price?
Stocks of tech and auto sectors are in the focus of traders these days due to the global chip shortage. Let’s find out what is going on with chips and why it’s important for traders.